Network Advocates

Solutions

Case Studies - Large Company

Home » Large Company Case Study

Red Tires Company

The Red Tires Company found Network Advocates when looking for people to connect a new site to their network. They had been having problems with their previous IT company, the new location needed to be connected to their existing network in a prompt and reliable fashion. They were impressed enough by our work that they asked us to take over their whole network, as it had not meeting their needs. Red Tires Company has six locations in six different cities, with networks at each site. Their headquarters houses a Microsoft Exchange Server and a file server.

Network Status

Each site (minus the one we connected in the beginning) was connected through Internet Service Provider A's proprietary VPN service via 56K digital lines (headquarters was actually connected via a T1). This VPN was then connected to the Internet via a T1 connection. Click hereto see a detailed diagram.

Users complained of slow connection speeds and the inability to access the file servers located at the main headquarters. Other large complaints included the amount of spam they received and the pervasion of viruses on their computers.

Upon an in depth inspection of their network, we found that their network was unprotected (no firewall), and worse yet, that some machines on the network had been compromised. In other words, their network was completely and totally vulnerable to attack at any time!

The Network Advocates Solution

By applying our networking best practices list, we were able to salvage the Red Tires Company's IT investments. First, and most importantly, we installed hardened firewalls and content managers at every location, thus setting up a solid barrier between their computers and the hooligans of the Internet. The next step was to install antiVirus software on each computer in the network, and to clean and recover those computers which had been attacked (by virus, or otherwise).

After securing and cleaning the network, we began working on raising the performance of the network to meet the needs of the users. So, we discontinued the use of Internet Service Provider A's Proprietary VPN Service, which connected each site at 56K, and moved each site to a DSL connection (1.5M) provided by Internet Service Provider B. Then, by using functionality built into the firewalls, we created a more standard VPN than what was currently in place. With this new setup, users found over a 2000% increase in network performance.

Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions of Sales